What is SharePoint?
Microsoft has a web-based platform called Microsoft SharePoint Online. It is integrated with Microsoft Office to store and share files. It is a document management system.
Organizations can use the secure workspace in the SharePoint platform. You can build tasks, track schedules and get details about the projects.
The method to use SharePoint:
- “You can choose to use Microsoft’s apps in the menu if you log in to Microsoft’s cloud service.”
- Click on the page you want to create in the left- vertical pane.
- The team site is where you should select it.
- The design of your website will match your requirements.
- Correct details include name and description.
- Click on Finish to finish the setup.
Why are SharePoint document libraries vital?
They are used as a containing space for your members lists. You can have a separate library for every client, internal department, and partner in the SharePoint platform. Users can access the documents and content after they click on the library.
The best way to use the document library is by using the following methods.
- The documents can be chosen in the left- vertical pane.
- To add new items, you have to choose new. You can drag and drop files in the current library folder.
- The app will open a Microsoft Office file.
- You can change the file with other members at the same time. You can check out a file and stop others from working on it at the same time.
What is the purpose of SharePoint?
1. SharePoint Lists
You can manage the information using sharepoint lists and libraries. SharePoint lists are similar to spreadsheets that consist of rows and columns. It is available to users after concurrent access to avoid any hassle in the data.
The web-based features of the project management system make it easy to create, update, and review items.
2. SharePoint Workflows
A set of decisions and tasks give you the right outcomes. They are similar to the automated flowchart application that handles business processes. The templates that are used to generate the workflows are from the same area of the website. Consistency and efficiency will be gained by this.
There are different roles that are linked to the workflows.
- Creator: The person who will create the template of workflow.
- Author: The person who will configure the workflow of your organization using a workflow template.
- Initiator: This person will start a new workflow instance for a list item or document. They have permission to terminate the workflow if needed.
- Participant: This individual performs the task associated with the workflow
3. SharePoint Search
This is the basic feature that allows users to do searches. The recent website and any sub-sites are where the scope of search is. The search application processes the query and returns results that are partially or fully match the query.
Links to libraries, lists, sites, documents, or web pages are possible in search results. Permissions, previous searches and context are needed for the search engine in Microsoft SharePoint online. You can add words to the search box and it will return the solutions.
4. SharePoint Libraries
“It gives the host features to store, group, modify, and capture vital data about the content stored. The library can be used to store the data’s content.”
A library allows the members to manage, create, collect, and update files collaboratively. One of the many benefits of SharePoint is that you also get access to a great number of default libraries for specific purposes. You get the freedom to use default library apps to build new libraries.
5. SharePoint Project Site
The template has components that support project management.
- The project summary is for the project.
- The task timetable.
- The task list has tasks.
- The calendar has a month.
- The document library has a lot of documents.
- There are features in task management.
This method is convenient for handling tasks and projects.
What are the pros and cons of SharePoint?
Pros of SharePoint
- Many Features: It has a diverse set of features like task management, document management, security information, and asset library. This gives your organization a seamless experience in sharing, managing, and storing information in the digital world.
- Office 365 Integration: Office 365 products work seamlessly with SharePoint. Your organization can leverage all products and connect them with SharePoint.
- Integration: There are great exclusive functionalities with SharePoint. You can also integrate extensions with existing businesses, including CRM and ERM. This will make it easier for organizations to get access to information.
- Customization: Many organizations are choosing SharePoint as it can be molded to meet various business requirements. It gives you different types of enterprise solutions, intranets, portals, collaborative workspaces, and more.
- Reliability: With Microsoft support, you can rely upon solutions during setup, installation, and more. They will provide answers to the technical problems you come across in SharePoint.
- Collaboration: SharePoint aims to increase employee participation if used properly. You can use it as a central hub for messages, video chat, schedule meetings, and other productivity tools.
- Data Security: Microsoft SharePoint online has advanced level protection. The data transmissions are protected using the best encryption method. There is two-factor authentication to identify the correct users.
Cons of SharePoint
- Less Control: Once you move to cloud services, you get control of the front-end and could disrupt your business requirements.
- Increases Bandwidth: It is a slow and painful experience after migrating with Office 365 and may increase your bandwidth.
- Extra Development Efforts: Consider the additional time, issues, and cost required in case of integration. This might affect the productivity of the employees.
- Extensive Features are complicated: With a wide range of SharePoint features and benefits, you get confused. It consumes more time to invest in tailoring the perfect features and functions.
The Last Takeaway!
We have given you information on the pros and cons of the software. It is perfect for businesses that need team collaboration for projects.